Monday, March 3, 2008

The color of shame is = denim (+ turquoise)

Some of you may perhaps be spending time with your families during Spring Break. I happen to be going on a ... family vacation. Very retro, I know. Compose and publish a blog post about your family by 6:00 pm on Monday, March 17. Talk about your whole family or just one or two members. Tell me anything you want about him/her/them. Maybe it's a funny story or just a description of them. You can relate it to a family vacation or one of your family's traditions if you want to. See my sample below...

I guess I tend to think immediately about my two sisters when I think about family. I feel especially tied to them because I’m in the middle of the three of us as far as age goes. I have 5 other siblings, but to me, Laura, Erin, and I are the most fundamental of family units.

I think we carry the stories and traditions of our family more than anyone else, even our parents. Or maybe they just don’t want to remember…

One of our favorite stories centers on my dad’s infamous “painting shorts.” We grew up in a huge three-story house, and one summer when I was young, my parents wanted to paint it from sea foam green to something like “Rocky Mountain blue.” This was quite an endeavor, and my dad was especially invested in the project.

Picture this: a man wearing a pair of short-short cut-off denim shorts. A grown man. A man with children old enough to feel shame. Being his painting shorts, he would inadvertently get paint on said shorts. Understandable. But then things go horribly wrong. Rather than abandoning the shorts, putting them to rest, he just cut them shorter and shorter as they became more frayed and paint-stained.

What's the worst that could happen, you ask? At their best (or worst), these shorts were short enough for the bottom of the pockets to hang below the shorts. To be fair, my dad has always been slim and handsome, definitely at that time (the early 90s) the picture of an 80s soap opera star. However, under no circumstances does an adolescent child want to see their father in these shorts. At their best (or worst), he would also pair them with a turquoise Nike muscle tank. Yes, the very same one worn by Emilio Estevez in The Breakfast Club.

Ah, the painting shorts. Grateful am I for my sisters for many reasons, but mainly so that I need not bear the legacy of the painting shorts alone.

No comments: